Friday, July 1, 2011

Philippians 4:8

So, the theme of my week has been blue. I have been feeling quite down lately. I was trying to figure out why and I've determined that the past few months have been loaded down with unhappy moments. So here's a rundown of what I mean. As an accountant, Jan through April 15th is "busy season." This is the time of year that most CPA's hate and pray to God that they survive without having a nervous breakdown. Well, just as this stressful time in my year was starting to wind down, April 27th happened. And I think we can all safely say that none of us will be the same after that day of destruction. I know that we all know what happened that day and I was in Cullman and went through two tornadoes up close and personal that day and will never be the same since. Then when things seemed to be getting closer to normal doomsday (May 21st) was upon us. Now, I'm definitely a believer in our Lord and know that He said no one shall know the hour of His return, so that wasn't the cause for concern but it broke my heart for the misguided (and i say that loosely because i am in know way placing judgment on them) folks that believed in the rapture occurring on May 21st. It also made me examine my life and think have I really even begun to do what God put me here to do? Have I been a good and faithful servant sharing the Gospel? Seems like I get too preoccupied with life to do what I'm meant to do. So this has been weighing on my mind.

Then I started preparing to go to Rwanda. Watching Hotel Rwanda. Reading up on the genocide. Really disturbing stuff. The fact that human beings can be so cruel and vicious to other human beings really baffles the mind.

Then seeing the poverty first hand...well...I can't do it justice with my words.

So all in all I've been feeling a bit blue under the weight of these things. However, I have been forgetting one important thing, and that is to turn to my Father God and listen to what He has to say about it. Earlier in the week I got hit with this verse.

"8. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

So this is IT! This is how to shake off the sad. God knows that things in life will be hard for us to process. He knows that sometimes we will get weighed down by trying to carry our burdens and the burdens of others. But I heard Him tell me that I need to focus on the good in my life. My MANY blessings. So many. So I thought about the things i can "think on." Here are a few below:

1. a box full of puppies (b/c well puppies are sweet and i think lovely)
sophie babt

ok this is ONE puppy but a cute one! my sophie

2. the children of Rwanda (b/c even though I'm a nerdy CPA here in the US, to some kids in Africa I'm a rockstar!) I like to remember their sweet faces.

DSC_0353

3. the kids in my Sunday school class..Miss Mary Claire makes me smile with her sweet disposition. She makes me laugh every Sunday
4. Something that is true - God's Word...it will NEVER fail me! neither will my Father in heaven
5. Noble? Well I automatically think of lions when i see the word noble. Like Aslan in the Chronicles of Narnia.

aslan2

6. What's more pure that a sweet little baby?? Babies are the BEST! Well, my baby Thomas isn't quite a baby anymore but he will ALWAYS be his auntie Kaci's baby...

DSC_0293

So do you get the idea?? I mean, God is so right. How could I ever be blue when I have all these wonderful PRAISEWORTHY things to be focusing on??

Lord, please forgive me for my ungratefulness. Thank you for your grace.

KBT

No comments:

Post a Comment