Sunday, July 24, 2011

new post

So my time in public accounting is coming to an end. After this week, I will no longer be working in public. Now to non-accountants that isn't anything special. But to those of us who are, this is a big change. I am really excited about this new opportunity, but I have to be honest; I'm a little bit nervous. I guess I just don't know what to expect. But that's how life goes! Things always change.

I have to share a picture of my Sunday school kids with you!

This is Jack and Dante. These two little guys are regulars in my second grade Sunday school class. Today I showed up and found them wearing matching outfits. lol. These boys are a handful! They are very hyper every Sunday. I ask them if they eat sugar for breakfast or hyper beans every week. But they're fun. These pictures are blurry because they wouldn't be still long enough for me to snap a good picture!



Today's lesson was about a lot of things I guess. We talked about treating people how you would like to be treated; showing compassion, kindness, humility; being thankful for our blessings and showing forgiveness to others.

Then during class Jack hit Dante. Dante said he might forgive Jack for that in about 3 months but not anytime soon. It made me laugh. :) At least he's honest.

But I totally feel like that sometimes. I  know we're supposed to forgive others but geez that's hard sometimes! Also, why is it so hard to always be nice and kind to others. One of my favorite Avett Brother songs asks "what makes it easy to treat people bad?" I think that's a good question. The answer to that question in the song is that "Love gets lost." I think that's true. The scripture today was Colossians 3:12-14:

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

I asked the boys about love. What was love?



They said making out with girls. I said that romantic love is one kind, but that wasn't the one we were talking about today. Loving others is what we were talking about (to which Dante said that he didn't love Jack. Jack said he loved his sisters which I thought was sweet! And both agreed that the love their parents and grandparents) Then Dante said we're supposed to love others like we love ourselves. Smart kid! (maybe he HAS been listening during class). So, as I sat down to post a blog (and sorry y'all that sometimes they're long) this conversation came back to me and it has lead me here. I think that maybe that's the problem. Maybe it's hard to follow God's instructions to love our neighbor like ourselves when we aren't sure what that should look like. I always say I "love" this or that. I love naps! I love those shoes! I love bacon! Oh I love diet mountain dew! Maybe overuse of the word confuses it's meaning. But, God tells us in 1 Corinthians 13 what love should look like.

Patient, kind, does not envy, does not boast, is not proud, keeps no record of wrongs just to name a few. I need a constant reminder of these things I think.

I think the Avetts are right. Love does get lost. I'm gonna do my best this week to keep that in mind.

2 comments:

  1. I love YOU!! Is that allowed?? :) Thank you for blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course that's allowed! i love you too friend.

    ReplyDelete